If left untreated, gum disease can have adverse effects on the function and health of your natural teeth. Gum disease is one of the most common causes of adult tooth loss. Recent research has even suggested that patients with gum disease may have an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, stroke, heart attack, and diabetes. Maintaining optimal oral health can contribute to improving your overall health.
At Howard County Smiles in Ellicott City, MD, Dr. Ray Becker offers a full range of periodontal therapy solutions to restore health to the gums and teeth. Ellicott City dentist Dr. Becker will carefully examine the teeth and gums to check for any signs of symptoms of gum disease. After a thorough examination, Dr. Becker will create a treatment plan based on your dental needs.
If you notice any signs of gum disease, schedule a visit to Howard County Smiles in Ellicott City, MD.
Common Signs of Gum Disease:
- Bleeding gums
- Tender gums
- Shifting or loose teeth
- Halitosis (persistent bad breath)
- Receding gum line
- Swelling gums
- Tooth loss
Treatment For Gum Disease in Ellicott City, MD
Dr. Becker will perform a full examination of the teeth and gums to evaluate the condition of the teeth and determine the severity of the infection. Depending on your oral health needs, Dr. Becker may suggest one or more of these treatments to restore health to the gums and teeth.
- Scaling and root planing: Scaling and root planing is usually performed in the earliest stage of gum disease (gingivitis) to moderate stage of gum disease. Scaling and root planing remove tartar and plaque buildup from the gum line. Depending on your case, Dr. Becker may recommend receiving scaling and root planing more than one time to effectively clean the teeth and stop the progression of gum disease.
- Antibacterial rinse: Antibacterial rinses can be an effective treatment option in the earliest stage of gum disease. Patients can complete this treatment at home under the care of Dr. Becker. Antibacterial rinses may be used in conjunction with another periodontal therapy treatment for a more effective solution.
- Laser Treatment: Removing diseased gum tissue with lasers can offer significant advantages over conventional surgery. Laser dentistry is proven to result in less discomfort and gum shrinkage.
- Gum grafting: During gum grafting surgery, Dr. Becker carefully places a small amount of new tissue in an area where little or no gum tissue currently exists. Gum surgery is typically performed to prevent further gum recession or to cover root surfaces of your teeth that have become exposed.