The holiday season is a wonderful time of the year! Columbia dentist Dr. Ray Becker and his dental care team wish all of our patients a safe and joyful holiday season. In the midst of all your holiday festivities, we encourage patients to maintain a normal oral hygiene routine and take the necessary steps to keep their smile healthy. Bring in the new year with a healthy smile by following these pro tips during the holiday season.
- Drink water. Try to avoid drinking sugary beverages. The sugar can stick to the teeth and may even cause plaque if it is not properly removed. Drinking water helps remove debris from the mouth, and it also helps promote saliva production.
- Don’t forget to floss. We know that flossing may be at the bottom of your list of things to do, but flossing can help keep your teeth healthy and minimize your chance of developing gum disease. Taking preventive action now can save you time, money, and discomfort in the future.
- Brush your teeth twice a day to keep your breath fresh and your mouth clean. Cleaning your teeth at least twice a day helps remove harmful bacteria that can weaken the teeth.
- Chew sugar-free gum between meals. Chewing sugar-free gum is a convenient way to keep the breath fresh and remove harmful debris from the teeth.
- Use the appropriate tools to open packages. When you’re on the go, you may tend to use your teeth as tools. Your teeth may be the most convenient tool to use, but it is by far the most dangerous. Using your teeth as tools can lead to chip, crack, and fractures in the tooth enamel. To avoid wearing down your teeth use the appropriate tools.
Schedule An Appointment
At Howard County Smiles Family Dentistry in Columbia, MD, Dr. Becker offers a variety of cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry services to improve the appearance and quality of your smile. If you want to brighten your smile before the holiday festivities, you can schedule a tooth whitening treatment. Or maybe you would like to schedule a routine preventive care exam. Dr. Becker can work with you get you the treatment you need. To schedule an appointment, patients can contact our Columbia, MD dental office or schedule an appointment online.