Dental crowns are one of the most frequently performed but also misunderstood dental procedures. Whenever teeth are badly damaged, cracked, broken, or misshapen, crowns are usually the most effective solution. Dental crowns can restore the appearance, shape, color and alignment of a damaged tooth.
Howard County Smiles is an Ellicott City, MD dentist’s office that proudly offers same-day dental crowns using CEREC technology to repair damaged teeth.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
Crowns are custom-made to fit over the top of a damaged tooth, protecting the sensitive tissue inside as well as restoring the appearance. The damaged tooth is prepared and then the crown is secured on top with cement, allowing it to hold the natural tooth together.
Dental crowns are constructed of durable materials such as porcelain, resin, or a composite plastic material that is strong enough to handle biting and chewing. After a crown is cemented to the top of the tooth, it is then part of the tooth and will not be removed again unless it requires replacing.
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
A dental crown may be recommended or placed for a wide range of reasons:
- After a root canal
- Final restoration of a dental implant
- Discolored tooth
- Misshapen tooth
- Damaged tooth
- Decayed tooth
Same-Day Dental Crowns in Ellicott City, MD
Dental crowns are custom-made to fit each patient’s teeth, and were designed and created in a lab previously. Now, Dr. Ray Becker and Howard County Smiles offers same day dental crowns, where digital pictures of your mouth and a special machine are used together to create the crown for your tooth. This cutting edge technology is called CEREC and it offers several key benefits:
- Digital impressions allow for more accurate treatment planning and less discomfort than traditional methods.
- 3-D imagery creates multi-dimensional images of the mouth, allowing Dr. Becker to design the restoration with precision.
- CEREC creates high-quality porcelain and zirconia dental crowns for a durable, comfortable, and visually pleasing results.
- Restorations can be done in a single office visit, eliminating the need for uncomfortable temporary crowns or multiple office visits
Schedule a Consultation
You don’t have to live with the discomfort or embarrassment of a damaged tooth. Dental crowns, when created with CEREC, offer you a healthier and more attractive smile in just one office visit. To schedule a consultation online with Dr. Ray Becker of Howard County Smiles or call us at (410) 415-9013 today.