CEREC® Dental Restorations: It’s Done In One Visit!
Dr. Ray Becker may recommend the use of a dental crown for a wide range of cosmetic dentistry and restorative purposes. A dental crown covers the entire tooth surface like a cap, adding strength, aesthetics and lasting function. Dental crowns can be made from several types of materials, all of which have enjoyed advances in recent years and can provide a lasting result.
Dr. Becker will recommend the most appropriate type of dental crown for your dental health and cosmetic needs. In most cases, a porcelain or ceramic crown is suggested for a durable, aesthetic result. Dr. Ray Becker places dental crowns in his Columbia, MD dentist office, often during a single visit using CEREC® technology. Dental crowns can be used to treat:
- Damaged teeth: chipped or cracked teeth
- Severely decayed tooth
- Discolored teeth that don’t respond to teeth whitening
- Misshapen teeth
- After a root canal to strengthen a tooth
- To strengthen anchor teeth for a dental bridge or other appliance
Learn more: CEREC® technology for dental crowns.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that covers a tooth that is decayed, cracked or otherwise damaged. A crown completely covers a tooth above the gum line. This is in contrast to a dental veneer, which only covers a tooth’s front surface and needs natural tooth structure to support it. Therefore, if a tooth is missing a significant amount of structure above the gum line, a crown would be the restoration of choice. Dental crowns are also commonly used to support a tooth that has had a root canal. A dental crown can help support the structure of the tooth after a root canal which can weaken the structure of the tooth.
Dr. Becker also uses dental crowns in cosmetic dentistry treatments to improve the appearance of teeth that are misshapen, misaligned or discolored. Dental crowns can close gaps in teeth and create a more aesthetic smile. Crowns also strengthen damaged teeth, allowing them to function normally again.
“The CEREC® technique is centered around the convenience to the patient. You do not have to have multiple visits, you do not have to have messy temporaries. The material itself is extremely closely matched to natural human dentition and the patient gets it done in one sitting.” Dr. Ray Becker
CEREC® technology allows for a patient to receive a dental crown in just one visit to our Columbia, MD dentist office. So you are done, in one. CEREC® eliminates messy impression trays, temporary crowns, and weeks of waiting. The latest in dental technology, CEREC® uses the highest quality restoration materials for durable and natural-looking results.
Porcelain vs. Gold Dental Crown
Howard County dentist Dr. Becker offers several choices in material for dental crowns. He will generally use a tooth-colored restoration such as porcelain for teeth in the smile zone. Porcelain dental crowns blend seamlessly with the natural smile and can be fabricated and secured in just one visit to our dentist office using CEREC®
Teeth in the back of the mouth may be better restored using a gold tooth cap. These dental restorations may require multiple visits to our dentist office. Teeth will be prepared and fit with temporary dental restorations while the final restoration is fabricated. When the dental restoration is finalized, the patient will return to our Columbia dentist office for the final fit and permanent attachment of the dental crown. Both choices are highly durable and the dentist will help you choose which is right based on your needs, goals, and budget.
Dental Crown Procedure
Dr. Becker offers same day dental crowns using CEREC® technology. Patients benefit from the convenience of receiving a dental crown in just one visit to our dentist office. CEREC® uses digital technology eliminating the need for messy impression trays, reduces long wait times, and reduces the number of visits to the dentist office. CEREC® dental crowns are made from high-quality dental ceramic and provide long lasting and natural looking results.
- Initial Visit– First, Dr. Becker will conduct a thorough examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints and other support structures. Using diagnostic x-rays, molds, and impressions, the dentist will look for hidden signs of decay, stress and instability. This exam will help Dr. Becker to design a personalized treatment plan that will restore the tooth to optimal health and function. The dentist will inform you on the various options you have for dental crowns and help you make the best choice.
- Tooth Preparation – Once the treatment plan is finalized, Dr. Becker will prepare the teeth by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure to accommodate the dental crown. CEREC® eliminates the need for a temporary tooth cap. Dr. Becker will take digital images of the prepared tooth and create a digital 3-D model of the new dental crown. These images are used to fabricate a comfortable, beautiful and natural functioning dental crown using our onsite dental laboratory equipment.
- Final Restoration – For patients receiving a dental crown using CEREC® technology, their restoration can be created while they wait. In just one visit to our Howard County dentist office, you may be fit with your final dental crown restoration. The dental crown will be permanently bonded to the prepared tooth. Patients will enjoy immediate results.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about dental crowns in our Columbia, MD area dentist office, schedule an appointment with Dr. Becker. Howard County Smiles is currently welcoming new patients.